The Hamilton Victoria Club is the longest continuing sporting activity in the Hamilton Area. Curling has been happening at "The Vic" since before the world famous "AROUND THE BAY ROAD RACE".
The Vic's roots were in The Hamilton Mechanics Curling Club, which was originally located at the corner of Main St. E. and Catherine St. starting in 1867. The year 1880 saw the organization change its name to The Caledonian Curling Club. In 1888, due to rapidly expanding membership, the Caledonia Club needed to purchase a new site at the corner of Victoria Ave. S. and Young St. The new site was big enough for both a curling rink and lawn bowling greens. Upon moving into its new home in 1889, the Caledonia Club changed its name to reflect the new location becoming the Hamilton Victoria Curling Club.
Growth once again prompted a move in 1905 when The Vic moved to its present location, with space for lawn bowlers and a dedicated facility for 4 sheets of ice for curling. In 1926 the first "artificial ice" making plant was installed our club and was the fist in the Hamilton area. Prior to the invention of artificial ice, mother nature determined when the curling season would start and end.
In 1963 the bowling green area was closed down, severed and sold due to waning interest in the sport. The funds were used to finance renovations at the club. Eventually, Dr. Elizabeth Bagshaw and Mr William Inrig Sr. opened the 9th End Lounge as a social area for members in 1975.
THe club celebrated it's 150th anniversary in 2017, marking the occasion with a Gala Evening, welcoming back former members and past presidents and board member.
The Hamilton Victoria Curling Club has received donatations on multiple occasions, including support from the the City of Hamilton Future Fund and the Ontario Trillium Foundation. The support of these organizations has helped us update infrastructure and facilities to ensure that we are able to continue curling, in Hamilton, for years to come.